Comcast veteran and process improvement expert Wendy Liu named Greater Chicago Region Vice President of Customer Experience…
Long-time Comcast employee and project management and process improvement expert Wendy Liu has been named to the newly created position of vice president of Customer Experience for Comcast’s Greater Chicago Region (GCR), which includes Central and Northern Illinois, Northwest Indiana and Southwest Michigan. Reporting directly to regional senior vice president and business lead John Crowley, Liu is charged with creating and instituting new practices designed to ensure that customers have the best possible experience with the company.
“Making sure customers have a great experience is Comcast’s number one priority,” Crowley said. “Wendy will bring focused, executive expertise to the task, and her appointment will give us an opportunity to build on and accelerate some of the great work we’ve done already to improve customer service.”
The addition of this position follows several initiatives already underway designed to improve the customer experience, ranging from:
- Adding nearly 1,200 nodes to the network throughout the GCR in 2014 and 2015 to increase capacity and meet rising demand for Internet bandwidth, which has been growing by about 50% a year;
- Reducing the need for and thus the number of service calls to customers’ homes by more than 6% in just one year from 2013 to 2014. More issues were resolved by phone and online or prevented from occurring in the first place; and
- Launching nearly 750,000 Xfinity WiFi hotspots in the GCR alone, and nearly 8 million in locations across the country, giving Xfinity High-Speed Internet customers access to their content on the go at no additional charge; to
- Launching the “My Account” Android and iOS app, which lets customers monitor their account status and bills, change and order service, troubleshoot issues and communicate with Comcast directly;
- Allowing customers to return equipment for no charge at UPS stores;
- Launching a new “Talking Guide” that helps customers with visual impairments more easily navigate their cable guides; and
- Opening several new stores in the region to give customers hands-on experience with Xfinity products and services.
Liu’s previous internal and external experience aligns well with the new role and many of the initiatives underway. Most recently, she served as the Comcast GCR’s director of Project Management. In that role, she worked with cross-functional teams managing new product launches, upgrades to company systems and processes and capital projects to ensure their successful execution. In addition, Liu, who came to work at Comcast in 1999, has a broad and deep understanding of the company and its personnel based on previous roles she held in business units ranging from Customer Care and Comcast Digital Voice to Comcast University, the company’s internal training unit.
Liu considers herself an ardent customer advocate and gained her perspective as the result of positions she’s held at Comcast and earlier in her career in the hospitality, restaurant, retail management and biotech industries.
In addition to her role at Comcast, Liu is a recognized leader in the cable industry. In 2014, she received the Chicago Chapter of Women in Cable and Telecommunications “Visionary Leader” award, and in 2011, she received the National Association of Multi-Ethnicity in Cable’s Chicago Chapter’s “Unsung Hero” award.
In 1996, Liu earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, where she researched and studied as a Hughes Fellow.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is the nation’s largest video, high-speed Internet and phone provider to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
With nearly 7,000 local employees, Comcast’s Greater Chicago Region (www.comcastgcr.com) serves customers in central and northern Illinois, including the Chicago area, northwest Indiana and southwest Michigan. “Like” Comcast’s Greater Chicago Region on Facebook by visiting Comcast of Illinois, NW Indiana and SW Michigan. “Follow” Comcast’s Greater Chicago Region on Twitter at @ComcastIllinois.