Comcast is helping communities across Kankakee County meet their current and future connectivity needs and close the digital divide
Kankakee County doesn’t need expensive, complex plans to meet its current and future connectivity needs or close the digital divide. The solutions are already in place:
- The communities Comcast serves in Kankakee are “Gigabit Cities.” Comcast’s network reaches all the residential neighborhoods in the communities we serve in the county, giving them access to Gigabit+ broadband Internet service, as well as our digital equity programs.
- The federal Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) can cover the cost of Internet Essentials, Comcast’s low-cost Internet service for low-income families, and subsidize the cost of Comcast’s and other Internet and mobile plans available in Kankakee County.
- Schools and libraries can apply to the federal Emergency Connectivity Fund (ECF) for dollars to purchase computers and Internet service for eligible households.
Gigabit+ service in Kankakee County
Comcast’s more than 700 miles of fiber-rich network infrastructure in Kankakee County allow us to deliver residential download speeds up to 1.2 Gigabits per second (Gbps) and commercial speeds up to 100 Gbps. In addition, we have more than 18,000 WiFi hotspots in Kankakee County and more than 20 million nationwide.
We invest in our network to stay ahead of demand, support new technologies and accommodate changing lifestyles, and we invest in the communities we serve
Over the past decade, Comcast has invested $30 billion in technology and network infrastructure nationally – $1.4 billion over the last three years in Illinois alone – to deliver an even greater customer experience, increase reliability and speeds and double network capacity every 2.5 years to stay ahead of growing demand, an explosion of new devices and technologies and more people than ever working and going to school at home and on the go. These investments made it possible for Comcast to accommodate a 32% growth in upstream traffic and 11% growth in downstream traffic during the height of the pandemic. We invest in our network continually to make sure we meet the current and future needs of all the households we serve, regardless of zip code.
Comcast Business recently announced the addition of 6.5 miles of fiber and other advanced network infrastructure to reach nearly 90 businesses in three Kankakee County retail and commercial corridors, including:
- Bradley Commons in Bourbonnais along Illinois Route 50;
- Water Tower Plaza in Bourbonnais at Interstate 57 and Illinois Route 50; and
- The cluster of commercial and warehouse facilities located at Stanford Drive and Grinnell Road in Kankakee.
With the projects complete, Comcast Business can provide customers in these locations and along the expansion routes access to Internet speeds of up to 100 Gigabits per second (Gbps), along with a wide range of advanced commercial telecommunications services.
Comcast has committed $1 billion over the next 10 years to bring about digital equity
Project UP is a comprehensive 10-year, $1 billion Comcast initiative designed to advance digital equity and help build a future of unlimited possibilities. Internet Essentials, Project UP’s centerpiece, provides low-cost Internet service, digital skills training and subsidized computers to eligible low-income households. Internet Essentials is available to students of all ages from grammar school to college, seniors, veterans, people with disabilities and public housing residents enrolled in public assistance programs, ranging from Medicaid to SNAP. The program has helped more than 1.3 million Illinois residents access the Internet at home since it was launched in 2011. Comcast is participating in the ACP, which provides eligible low-income households a credit up to $30 a month toward the cost of Internet and mobile service, including all of Comcast’s Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Mobile plans, as well as Internet Essentials. In addition, school districts and libraries can apply for federal ECF awards to provide computers and support bringing programs like Internet Essentials to low-income households that aren’t already connected to the Internet.
We’re part of your community
Comcast is proud to serve Kankakee County. We’re more than just your Internet Service Provider. We’re your friends, neighbors and coworkers, and we share a future. For more information, e-mail email@example.com.