New Multi-gig Speeds will be Among the Fastest in the Region
November 7, 2023 – Comcast is accelerating the nation’s largest and fastest multi-gig deployment and announced today that its latest Xfinity 10G Network updates are rolling out to homes and businesses across the Peoria area. These network enhancements will benefit customers across most speed-tiers and price points. With these improvements, Comcast is also rolling out new download speeds up to 2 gigabits-per-second (Gbps) and up to 5x-to-10x faster upload speeds.
The Peoria area is among the latest communities in Illinois to roll out these Xfinity 10G Network enhancements.
“Comcast’s investment in the Peoria area will help ensure our residents and businesses have the connectivity and technology needed to meet the needs of today and tomorrow,” said Christopher Setti, Greater Peoria Economic Development Council’s Chief Executive Officer.
“The investments Comcast has made in its network have allowed the company to continually increase Internet speeds, offer more and more robust WiFi coverage throughout our customers’ homes and increase bandwidth to support everything they do online,” said Chris Smith, Comcast’s Regional Senior Vice President. “In addition, the network investments have included technologies that allow the company to identify and address potential service issues before they impact customers, which has helped to increase reliability.”
Comcast has invested $1.4 billion in technology and infrastructure improvements in its Illinois network over the last three years.
Powered by the Xfinity 10G Network
Comcast’s network and Internet experience are powering homes and businesses today and into the future:
- Ultimate Capacity: Xfinity customers connect more than 1 billion devices across the company’s network annually. The Xfinity 10G Network with the next-generation Xfinity gateways deliver the most advanced WiFi technology carrying three times more bandwidth to power streaming, gaming, videoconferencing and more, simultaneously.
- Fastest Internet: More than a third of Xfinity Internet customers subscribe to gigabit speed products. Comcast recently connected the first customers in the world to a DOCSIS 4.0 connection, delivering symmetrical gig speeds over existing connections in customers’ homes with plans to continue to rollout these speeds across the country over the coming years.
- Unprecedented Coverage: The latest Xfinity Gateway provides a more reliable connection throughout the home. Customers can get WiFi coverage with a powerful Xfinity WiFi Boost Pod that extends coverage to hard-to-reach areas, with plans for an offering of increased support for in-home WiFi through a “boost guarantee” this year.
- Most Reliable Connection: Comcast is scaling the nation’s largest and most reliable network – the Xfinity 10G Network. The company recently launched Storm-Ready WiFi, a new device that comes equipped with cellular and battery backup to help keep customers connected even when the power goes out.
- Ultra-Low Latency: The Xfinity 10G Network and the latest Xfinity Gateway are a powerful combination that deliver ultra-low latency for those moments when response times matter most like video games, a fast-growing category with Xfinity households averaging more than one gaming console per home.
To make these upgrades possible, Comcast recently accelerated the transformation of its network to a cloud-based architecture that is fully prepared for robust 10G technologies and DOCSIS 4.0. This network architecture will enable Comcast to deliver symmetrical, multi-gigabit speeds to both residential and business customers, services that technically limited fixed wireless providers will not be able to deliver.
“The way our network is designed allows us to make these upgrades and deliver smarter, faster and more reliable service largely using the lines that already serve the homes and businesses in our footprint,” said Smith. “As a result, ultimately, we’ll be able to provide symmetrical speeds and other service upgrades to all the homes and businesses in our service footprint without having to do major construction, which is a boon to our customers and the communities we serve.”
Upgrades will be completed on a rolling basis over time. Comcast will notify customers as new services become available at their address.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company. From the connectivity and platforms we provide, to the content and experiences we create, our businesses reach hundreds of millions of customers, viewers, and guests worldwide. We deliver world-class broadband, wireless, and video through Xfinity, Comcast Business, and Sky; produce, distribute, and stream leading entertainment, sports, and news through brands including NBC, Telemundo, Universal, Peacock, and Sky; and bring incredible theme parks and attractions to life through Universal Destinations & Experiences. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
About Comcast Greater Chicago Region
With around 5,000 local employees, Comcast’s Greater Chicago Region (https://chicago.comcast.com) serves customers in central and northern Illinois, northern Indiana and southwest Michigan. “Like” Comcast’s Greater Chicago Region on Facebook by visiting @Comcast. “Follow” Comcast’s Greater Chicago Region on Twitter at @ComcastIllinois.